What is Senedd Home?
A weekly magazine-style blog focused on Welsh politics and current affairs, the latest news and developments from the Welsh Government and the National Assembly (aka. Senedd). The author is Owen Donovan.
Why was Senedd Home set up?
BBC, S4C and Wales Online aside, there’s a lack of coverage of domestic politics – a situation long been dubbed the “democratic deficit”. Like it or loathe it, the National Assembly and Welsh Government spend £15billion of our money every year and are directly responsible for many key public services (outline at Devolution Explained).
On the old Oggy Bloggy Ogwr I developed a reputation for depth and detail, but on Senedd Home, this will shift to a breadth of coverage. That means more articles but they’ll be shorter and to the point with little to no commentary. People don’t really need depth, they need to be aware of what’s happening in the first place.
Can you run through the post categories?
- Committees – This section covers the work of the Senedd’s committees, in particular their inquiry reports and reports on proposed Welsh laws (Stage 1). It also includes reports from expert panels/task and finish groups carrying out work on behalf of the Assembly Commission.
- Editorial – These are opinion pieces based on the major talking points of the week. It also includes posts that don’t fit into another category (like an end of year review), a round-up of the best posts from the Welsh political blogosphere each week and the Senedd Bites section which covers minor and gossipy stories.
- Government – This includes policy and budget announcements from government ministers as well as summaries of ministerial statements in the Senedd chamber.
- Law – This section follows proposed Welsh laws from start to finish and also includes debates of proposed backbench Members Bill as well as regulations of note which are set to be debated or passed by AMs.
- Y Siambr – Highlights of the most significant debates from the Senedd chamber each week including First Minister’s Questions (FMQs), backbench debates, opposition debates and government-led debates.
When will new posts be published?
Senedd Home will be updated throughout the week when the National Assembly’s in session, usually on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. There’ll be no updates during half term recesses, Christmas, Easter or summer recesses.
The coverage period will be from the preceding Thursday to the following Wednesday (except when covering news following a recess).
Major breaking stories (emergency debates, obituaries, resignations, reshuffles etc.) will be covered immediately wherever possible.
How do I make sure I don’t miss an update?
Follow Oggy Bloggy Ogwr on social media (more details here), or sign up by email for the newsletter (at the bottom of the page). Newsletters will contain all posts from each in one place and will be sent out to subscribers on Thursdays.