Last-minute Scotland-Wales Six Nations postponement contradicts government advice

(Title Image: BBC Wales)

Hours after the Health Minister, Vaughan Gething (Lab, Cardiff S. & Penarth), and the First Minister said the Six Nations match between Wales and Scotland should go ahead, the WRU postponed it with 24 hours notice despite saying themselves that game would continue.

Advice from officials to the Welsh Government – taking their cue from UK Government advice – stated that holding the match wouldn’t make much difference to the spread of Covid-19/coronavirus because it requires close contact with an infected person for at least 15 minutes.

Many people argued the game should be cancelled – in line with the party conferences and the suspension of domestic rugby and football – and on Friday (13th March) the WRU changed their minds and postponed the game.

WRU Chief Executive, Gareth Davies, said: “I don’t think we could’ve dealt with it any better. We made a decision last night that this match would go ahead. In a very quickly moving world things had changed by late morning today.”

Since then, it’s emerged that the WRU withdrew ticket money from the accounts of clubs for Wales-Scotland tickets just before the game was postponed.